Friday, January 28, 2011

Mayo May Be Spreading Himself Thin on the Truth

Memphis Grizzlies star O.J. Mayo is a clutch shooter when the game is on the line, but that may not be the case when it’s his reputation that’s on the line. The NBA and the Grizzlies announced yesterday that Mayo has been suspended for violating provisions of the NBA/NBAPA anti-drug policy. The violation reportedly involved testing positive for dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA).

In response to the announcement, Mayo issued the following statement:

“I’m extremely disappointed that I’m going to miss the next 10 games, particularly as our club is making a push for the playoffs. I had no idea that the over-the-counter supplement that I took was a substance banned by the NBA. It was an honest mistake, but I take full responsibility for my actions. I apologize to my fans, teammates and the Grizzlies organization for regrettably not doing the necessary research about what supplements I can put in my body.”

Our behavioral analysis identified several potential problems with Mayo’s statement. First, while it’s admirable that Mayo appears to own up to taking a banned substance, by claiming it was an “over-the-counter supplement,” he seems to fall short of being completely candid by failing to identify the supplement by name. Also troubling with Mayo’s statement is his failure to definitively say that he has not taken any performance-enhancing drugs. In addition, Mayo’s reference to “supplements” in his apology to the Grizzlies organization and fans raises the question of whether this plural usage of the word is an unintended reference to other supplements Mayo might be using.

Kudos to the NBA for imposing a stiff penalty of a 10-game suspension on Mayo, which will cost him $405,000. Based on Mayo’s behavior, we believe it’s warranted.

No comments:

Post a Comment